1. In a medium bowl, whisk together the flours, baking soda and baking powder.
2. In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat the butter and sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy.
3. Add the miso and peanut butter, and mix 1 minute more.
4. Beat in the egg and vanilla.
5. Add the flour mixture, and mix on low speed until just combined.
6. Place the maple sugar into a small bowl.
7. Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough, and roll into a ball.
8. Roll the dough in maple sugar to coat.
9. Place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and refrigerate 3 hours so flavors can meld.
10. Preheat the oven to 350°F.
11. Bake for 15 minutes, remove the baking sheet from oven and bang pan on a counter (this is how you get the crinkly look).
12. Return to the oven to bake for 3 minutes more.
13. Remove from oven and hit the pan against the counter once more.
14. Cool on a baking sheet for five minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. Enjoy!