1 cup all-purpose flour
¾ cup whole wheat pastry flour
¾ teaspoon baking soda
½ teaspoon baking powder
½ cup salted butter
1 cup light brown sugar
1/3 cup granulated sugar
1/3 cup white miso
1/3 cup Justin’s Honey Peanut Butter
1 large egg
2 teaspoons vanilla
1/3 cup maple sugar (sub raw sugar or coconut sugar)
- In a medium bowl, whisk together flours, baking soda and baking powder.
- In the bowl of an electric mixer, beat butter and sugars at medium speed until light and fluffy. Add miso and peanut butter, and mix 1 minute more. Beat in egg and vanilla.
- Add flour mixture, and mix on low speed until just combined.
- Place maple sugar into a small bowl. Scoop 2 tablespoons of dough, and roll into a ball. Roll dough in maple sugar to coat. Place 3 inches apart on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper, and refrigerate 3 hours so flavors can meld.
- Preheat oven to 350ºF. Bake 15 minutes, remove baking sheet from oven and bang pan on a counter (this is how you get the crinkly look). Return to oven to bake 3 minutes more. Remove from oven and hit pan against counter once more.
- Cool on a baking sheet five minutes, then transfer to a cooling rack and cool completely. Enjoy!