1/3 cup olive oil
1/2 cup honey
2 ripe bananas, mashed
1/4 cup almond milk
1 cup all-purpose flour
1 teaspoon baking powder
1/2 teaspoon baking soda
1 teaspoon vanilla
1/2 teaspoon salt
1/2 teaspoon cardamom
1/2 teaspoon cinnamon
1/2 cup (1 stick) vegan butter
3 tablespoons Justin's Cashew Butter
2 cups powdered sugar
1/2 teaspoon vanilla
1-2 tablespoons almond milk
To garnish: banana slices, cashews
- Preheat the oven to 350º F and grease a 9x9-inch baking pan.
- In a large mixing bowl, beat the oil and honey together. Add the eggs and beat well. Stir in the mashed bananas and almond milk.
- Add the baking powder, baking soda, vanilla, salt, cardamom, and cinnamon, and whisk well. Add the flour, and stir just until combined.
- Pour the batter into prepared pan. Bake for 28-32 minutes, or until a toothpick inserted into the center comes out clean. Place the pan on a cooling rack and let the cake cool completely before frosting.
- Make the buttercream: In a mixing bowl, beat together the butter and cashew butter with an electric mixer until fluffy.
- Add the powdered sugar and vanilla and beat on low until well incorporated. Scrape the sides and bottom of the bowl, turn the mixer up to medium-high speed and beat 1 minute more.
- Add milk a little bit at a time until frosting is the proper consistency.
- To assemble, spread frosting evenly over the top of the cake, then slice and serve.